[Stoves] Personal Particulate Monitor

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Sep 13 14:53:06 CDT 2018

Dear Norbert

The readings were matched several times. I had not done a calculation of the total mass per kg. I think we can assume the EA was low. The highest I ever measured was 17 g/m^3 which was for a stove claimed to be 'improved'. That level was temporary, not sustained. The worst baseline stove measurement was about 8g/m^3 (undiluted).

We normalize to 0% O2 in all cases but I can't guarantee that JICA did. I recall they use 11% or thereabouts. The fact that people use different normalizations is why we always use 0% (undiluted for all reports).

Obviously the coal has nothing to do with these terrible numbers. The same coal in a crossdraft stove produces so little PM it is hard to detect it against the background ‎even when the background is low.

In some respects the approach to improving ambient air quality is confused with misconceptions.

Andrew:
Yes, I was thinking about this after our previous exchange.
I'd guess there is no fan on your device. It should be easy to check if there is a flow through the
intake orifice.
It should behave more like a smoke detector - the air has some degree of "cloudiness"
and it doesn't matter if the air is moving or still.
With a dilute mixture and measurement of individual or cumulative scattered light "hits" on a
sensor, it is related to particle concentration in the air which is unchanged by velocity.

For the dilution scheme that I described, I had forgotten about this. You'd actually need to
add a small fan if you wanted to try this approach, in order to establish a flow that can be diluted.

Crispin:
Earlier you mentioned a flue gas measurement of 30,000,000 ug/m3 PM in Ulaanbaatar. That converts to roughly
350 g/kg, or more than 1/3 of your fuel leaving the stack as PM (normalized to 13% O2), way off the map of anything I
have ever seen or hear of. I'm not really familiar with coal or high fly ash, so can't hazard a guess - seems almost impossible.

Norbert

Message: 2