[Stoves] Personal Particulate Monitor

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 13:51:54 CDT 2018

Andrew:
Yes, I was thinking about this after our previous exchange.
I'd guess there is no fan on your device. It should be easy to check if
there is a flow through the
intake orifice.
It should behave more like a smoke detector - the air has some degree of
"cloudiness"
and it doesn't matter if the air is moving or still.
With a dilute mixture and measurement of individual or cumulative scattered
light "hits" on a
sensor, it is related to particle concentration in the air which is
unchanged by velocity.

For the dilution scheme that I described, I had forgotten about this. You'd
actually need to
add a small fan if you wanted to try this approach, in order to establish a
flow that can be diluted.

Crispin:
Earlier you mentioned a flue gas measurement of 30,000,000 ug/m3 PM in
Ulaanbaatar. That converts to roughly
350 g/kg, or more than 1/3 of your fuel leaving the stack as PM (normalized
to 13% O2), way off the map of anything I
have ever seen or hear of. I'm not really familiar with coal or high fly
ash, so can't hazard a guess - seems almost impossible.

Norbert

Message: 2

--
Norbert Senf