[Stoves] Personal Particulate Monitor

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 03:11:04 CDT 2018

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 at 14:06, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> The measurement method is a direct measurement of concentration at the time so it is fine for ambient or indoor air.

If I understand you correctly and it would affirm Norbert's view, the
measurement is when the laser takes a snapshot of a known volume and
calculated the mass from that, so it the flow is not a factor.

If this is the case it seems to open up a  possibility:

Because the output of the Python script is time stamped it would be
feasible to have a number of long tubes to different parts of the room
the stove is used in. A rotary valve could then choose which  tube was
sampled, after allowing for the tube to purge and as long as the time
on the laptop was  recorded at each change a picture of the
distribution of particulates in the room throughout the cooking
process could be seen.

Mind these are relatively cheap so more than one could be deployed for
the same purpose.

I note the life of the device is stated at 3000hr of use.
>> If you want to know the total mass you need aa determination of total volume and measurements at time intervals, usually fixed like per 10 or 30 seconds. A filter gives a total mass collected.

Yes but one could also integrate the output over time but that's why I
mentioned running alongside Anil's soot plate idea as that also gives
an integrated result over time.

Andrew