[Stoves] TLUD Design Bachelor Theisis

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Tue Sep 18 16:56:33 CDT 2018

On 18 Sep 2018 at 18:29, Anderson, Paul wrote:

> TLUD stoves that can have additional fuel placed on TOP of the created
> charcoal do certainly exist.   Essentially the added fuel is being
> oeretorted by being heated in the absence of any oxygen.   Quite
> different from the O2-present pyrolysis at the TLUD pyrolytic front.   I
> have not been a fan of adding fuel on the top, but let the user decide if
> she / he wants to be frequently available to drop in more fuel and to have
> the associate variability of the resultant gases to be burned.

I don't know about anybody else, but I find it generally challenging to
match a batch loaded TLUD to a specific cooking task, unless that task is
so repetitive and predictable, which some are, along with the fuel, that
it can be fine tuned as a match from experience.  More often it is so
much easier to embark on cooking a meal knowing that while the stove can
be started and run for part of the cook as a TLUD, more fuel can be
chucked in to keep it going indefinitely without producing excess smoke,
but that is only possible in a primary air rich stove like the Chinese
wood gas camping stoves, or more complicated commercial designs I
suppose.  To actually exhaust a clean burn batch loaded TLUD before the
completion of cooking is a real pain if you know that all the merest
extra twig will produce is copious unburned smoke because it sits atop a
pile of char with the pyrolytic front at the bottom of the stove.

Neil Taylor