[Stoves] Simple Modifications to Traditional Wood Cookstoves - Rocks and Clay Grates

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Apr 25 14:25:00 CDT 2019

 List and ccs

	See below:

> On Apr 25, 2019, at 4:03 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Friends
>
> The two-pot, one-fire stove is a staple in places like Sri Lanka. There is a helpful Practical Action video in English showing the production of the common product:
>
> https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dz8oGUHDEDpY&ved=2ahUKEwix4YaQ9-rhAhUO2FkKHbGNDKYQwqsBMAB6BAgJEAU&usg=AOvVaw1xLbIsxqNtadxTnvxMKzJo <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dz8oGUHDEDpY&ved=2ahUKEwix4YaQ9-rhAhUO2FkKHbGNDKYQwqsBMAB6BAgJEAU&usg=AOvVaw1xLbIsxqNtadxTnvxMKzJo>
>
> I hope that link works. It looks messy.
>
> The layout is efficient and the diagonal chimney is creating the draft needed to keep the smoke away from the first pot.
>
> Note that the first pot seals the hole at cooking station one.

	[RWL1:   This Sri Lankan thrown clay 2-pot stove is interesting - and I think I have seen similar elsewhere.

	The difference is that example is quite different from Kevin’s.  The two Sri Lankan cook-pots are in parallel.  In Kevin’s design they are in series.   It appears that a 3-cookpot series design can possibly be even more cost effective.  The succeeding pots are utilizing flame energy that was missed at the first (or first and second) cook-pots.  So the question remains - any other examples of two or three cook-pots in series (and especially at different heights - so draft improves)?

	Most of the remainder below is what was described in my first message a month ago - on air flow control.   Kevin’s work is also emphasizing the use of the (air improvement) rocks as energy storage components.   Still hoping for other examples of both the air and storage elements of rocks (all the rocks involved).  Again - because the cost can be zero.  Who else is doing that?
	One more topic (the last of Kevin’s four being explored) below.

> [...]
>
> Kevin has been promoting an interesting extremely cheap set of three. Bent reinforcing steel bar wood supports that hold the tips of the wood above the ground when they are burning. Obviously this has limitations because wood is not infinitely long but clearly it saves fuel by was burning some of the smoke, and the char that is often left on the ground at the end.
>
> Elevating the char itself is the trick. If the stick is elevated at the burning point, the char attached to it is getting "under air" and burns cleaner.  Char can be elevated and aerated by many methods, including, as Kevin has demonstrated, putting a perforated clay disk, or a layer of round stones on the ground between three stones that support the pot. It is functionally the equivalent of the wedge-shaped metal insert being promoted in India that has holes through the upper surface. Some readers may recall that being shown on this channel a few years ago.
>
> It is also the main function of the two-part tilted grate demonstrated in the SAE Stove and Keren Super in Central Java which was developed in the WB's Indonesian Stove Pilot Project.
>
> There are variations on the theme demonstrated elsewhere. What Kevin shows, I think, is that using the very inexpensive clay grate (which identical in appearance to the grate in the Indonesian Jolento and Anglo (Thai bucket) stoves) produces much better results than a three stove fire in terms of fuel consumption, combustion temperature,  smoke and CO.
>
> The cook will notice higher cooking power, faster lighting and less smoke.
>
> Having spent some time experimenting with various ways to elevate the fire enough to get air under the fuel at the centre, Kevin demonstrated that round stones placed on the ground in the centre, either between the pot-supporting elements.
>
> This could be added to any stove with a flat floor on which the fuel burns, in that any grate (passing air under the fire) is better than none. The clear advantage was measured recently in the Cambodian lab and at the SeTAR Centre in Johannesburg.
>
> A rocket stove's overall fuel performance can be improved by adding a grate under the tips of the wood, or between the wood and the floor under the fuel support, or on the floor of the stove. Tossing in a layer of round stones that sits on the floor in such a way that it elevates the char and doesn't interfere with the primary air supply to the wood will also produce that result: better and hotter combustion of the char normally left sitting at the bottom of the stove.
>
> There are times when one doesn't want the char to be burned in this fashion. There is a two-station traditional stove $are in one province of Indonesia that provides for the char to be produced under a pot and has a flat platform protruding from the front of the fire chamber. The char is raked back onto this platform and meat or vegetables is roasted over it.
	[RWL2:  Crispin:   Seems to be a typo with "$are” in the first line.  Can you correct?  (Just delete?)

	Your “raked back ”  reference is indeed interesting.  Any Indonesian technical literature anywhere on that?  The amount (both in kg and %)  that can/must be removed for roasting?

	Obviously the char could alternatively be raked out from ANY cook-fire - then spread to extinguish and saved for placement in soil (biochar).  Or sold as a way of maybe even making money during each cooking session.

	Anyone else have data on removing char in this way?   (This was part of what we might call Kevin’s item 3b below from yesterday).

  End

Ron