[Stoves] Simple Modifications to Traditional Wood Cookstoves - Rocks and Clay Grates

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Apr 25 15:25:28 CDT 2019

Dear Ron

Small comments:

>[RWL1:   This Sri Lankan thrown clay 2-pot stove is interesting - and I think I have seen similar elsewhere.

It is well known.

>The difference is that example is quite different from Kevin’s.  The two Sri Lankan cook-pots are in parallel.

They are in series. The second pot is essentially sitting on the top of a short chimney.

>…The succeeding pots are utilizing flame energy that was missed at the first (or first and second) cook-pots.

That is how the Anagi works.  The Jolento Stove in Indonesia is a three pot large device with the three in series. It is a chimney stove.

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D4FB83.77C936B0]
These fired clay parts are mounted in clay as a single structure.  There is a “choke” below each pot pushing the gases up against the bottom of each in turn. Some models are very large for institutional cooking and small industry (especially boiling chips in oil).

The “sate” cooking stove which accommodates one pot looks like this:

[cid:image004.png at 01D4FB83.77C936B0]
Note that there is no “pot rest” in the conventional sense. The hot gases escape the fire through the 4 slots. This makes for an efficient cooker. This unit is quite heavy. Note several carefully shaped features inside and out. The platform at the front is not horizontal, it slopes down to the right. The sate sticks (with small bits of meat) are placed across the two short walls and the burning charcoal pulled back. At that time the sticks would be removed.

It is called a Tihengo Stove, from Gorontalo Province in Northern Sulawesi. There is no shortage of wood almost everywhere in Indonesia. If people want charcoal they can just take wood and make some. Many foods are roasted so I don’t see people bringing extra wood, making extra char and saving it. The common cooking woods like left-overs from feeding penned goats makes a pretty awful charcoal anyway.  It was a surprise to me and Cecil that goats are always penned and food brought to them in the form of branches.  They eat the bark off and the remaining wood is used for cooking. That is quite common.

PS Thanks to Prianti Utami for the photos