[Stoves] Fwd: "The effects of fuel type and stove design on ..." - new citations

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Dec 24 11:51:01 CST 2019

List:  cc Kevin

	I recommend this (non-fee) overview article shown below.  The free pdf version is at:  https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.5141191?class=pdf <https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.5141191?class=pdf>.

	This is a nice stove-breakdown list - that they mostly cover:

(a) According to technology used: Traditional and Improved cookstove
(b) According to draft or air supply: Natural draft and Forced draft
(c) According to combustion mechanism: Direct combustion and Gasifier
(d) According to fuel used: wood, Dung cake, charcoal, residue crops, Multi-fuels
(e) According to material: Mud, Brick, Ceramic, Metal and Hybrid
(f) According to fuel feeding: Batch feeding or continuous feeding
(g) According to utility: Domestic size or Community size
(h) According to chimney used: Cookstove with chimney or cookstove without chimney
(i) According to portability: Portable or fixed type
(j) According to pot used: Single pot or multiple pots

	I would add one more:
k). According to money flow:  Make money or spend money while cooking

	Obviously there should be some stove-user interest in money-making.  The only way I am aware of is making charcoal.   Others?

	So this k) option is already possible as a part of c) Gasifier (meaning only TLUD in this paper).  But (unfortunately) not much of k) is now happening as part of c).  Nor is marketing of char discussed in this article.

	But there are many ways to make charcoal and some of the other ways are potentially applicable to cooking tasks.   I’m working on a message on these other non-TLUD ways - and would welcome on-list or off-list dialog if anyone else is doing that.

	If we discuss k) seriously, it seems that k) can involve EVERY one of the breakdowns a) through j).  I am concentrating now on modifications of both the “Traditional” and “improved" parts of a).  This category can also expand what is covered in a) through j).  For instance,  b) can include “no draft”.   e) may have other options than those shown.  f) might have “and” as well as “or”.

	This paper is a nice summary of much past work, but is essentially silent on k) - the making of char/money while cooking.  No discussion of how char influences efficiency computation.

	Thoughts?

Ron