[Stoves] [biochar] Continuing in response to Crispin and James

Rick Wilson rick012 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 00:29:16 CST 2019

Daniel, fair enough.  I agree that anyone can be smart.  In fact it’s know that breakthroughs in technology have been achieved by those unencumbered by the paradigms of the models afforded academic training. I do believe formal education provides skills to engage in rigorous inquiry in a way that factors out personal biases and accounts for all the information rational way.   But there is no monopoly on the ability to be effective at rigorous inquiry and analysis.

CLIMATE CHANGE

My point is that if we are going to debate climate change dynamics, there is a world of expertise outside of this biochar group that could be engaged, for instance NASA, fully informed by all of the available information?  I am sure there are other internet groups for debating the dynamics of climate change?  There are some really smart biochar experts on this thread, but nto many geologists who could speak to what happens to land masses when water melts away to the best of my knowledge..

STOVES

There is a separate group for that.  It's a charcoal business. The limitation of Stoves, (and biochar), is that there is an abundance of activity and interest in the technology, and those engaged in further developing our understanding and development of those technologies, with considerably less focus on commercialization.

For instance, deploying Stoves in third world countries presents a confounding challenge in supply chain development, marketing, finance, and economics. You may have the greatest stove technology, which from what I’ve read, we do.  But that is far from enough to make an impact on people’s lives.

To start, you need to build enough Stoves to pack up a container and ship them to say Africa.  Then, you have to get them through customs, in places where infrastructure is lacking, so the process takes a very long time, and often facilitation payments are needed. (paying facilitation payments to government officials is forbidden under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act if you are US based). Hopefully they don’t get stolen. Then you have to truck or rail the Stoves somewhere, perhaps a local town, and try to sell them.  Now you are dealing with people who have no money, so they need finance, and transacting in foreign currencies with exchange rate risk.  And while you are doing this you need to pay people, buy equipment, pay for logistics, banking transactions, all this requires finance, so you have to convince an investor, a government agency, or a charitable group, that there is a market and wants to take that risk.  The cost to the customer in the beginning will be much greater than when after a market develops (like solar, or electric cars). Large markups will be required to pay for all the costs of getting the stoves to market in the beginning when you do not have scale.  Do the economics work then?  In the end you will need to show how this business is economically viable.

We need to drive commercial adoption of these technologies, either by positioning them to benefit from the forces of capitalism, enabled by early government support, or through not- for- profit resourcing.  These are the issues we should be discussing. Unlike technical development, which is under your control, dealing with markets is mostly out of your direct control, individuals who don’t care about changing what they do because they are risk averse in general, or are not necessarily incentivized to do so, which makes for a very big challenge, one that must be addressed.

Rick Wilson