[Stoves] TEG Thermoelectric Generator for stoves

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 04:09:16 CST 2019

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 09:29, Nikhil Desai <pienergy2008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you please give some idea of daily average and peak electric demand
> of some users, and corresponding locations, where TEGs can be viable
> substitutes for pico-PV or diesel/kerosene generators?

It's an interesting question but even in my household  with a 4kW(t) stove
burning wood during waking hours 100W would go a long way toward our
lighting and IT requirements. It wouldn't manage the washing machine or
cooking, not the refrigerator but that only works hard in the summer as
it's in an outhouse.

> Why not just use the TEG for electric cooking via induction stoves?

Because a TEG  turns about 5% of the heat flux into electricity, as a
5kW(t) cookstove could never better ~250W(e)  it's better to cook with the
heat and use electricity for something like IT or light.

Andrew