[Stoves] Dhan Hurley..... TLUD enhancements.... Why aren'tthere any comments, except from what it seems is a Venture Capital Company?

Kirk H. gkharris316 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 1 19:04:10 CDT 2019

Dan,

I am sorry that I did not reply sooner.  I was studying your contribution to try to get the best idea of what you were saying, and other things crowded in.  It is always good to discuss biomass stoves with other experimenters of similar interest.

Your idea of spiraling tubes to increase the efficiency of preheating the secondary air interested me.  Several thoughts came to mind.
1--Preheating the secondary air uses heat from the wood gas, cooling it.  Mixing them back together will give the same temperature as if the air was not preheated.  The advantage to preheating the secondary air is that gasses are easier to mix when they are of similar temperature, and more difficult to mix when they are of differing temperatures.  That is a good reason to preheat the secondary air.
1--The tubes may increase heat transfer, I don’t know.  It seems like it might work if the surface area between the air and wood gas is increased.  I have not done any tests about this so I cannot confirm.
1--It must be considered whether the tubes increase the flow resistance of the secondary air.  This would effect the power level (more draft available to the primary air), and also the ratio between the wood gas and secondary air (clean burning).
1--I have done considerable experimenting on using swirl to mix the gasses.  It does not help, and may hurt mixing by slinging the cooler, heavier air to the outer edge, like a centrifuge.  Mixing should be done before swirl is added, and the swirl should be designed to give more dwell time before the flame exits the stove.
1--As you say, a forced air fan may not be necessary.  It may work as natural draft.
2—You will need more than a thermal couple, you will need a thermal pile to run a radio.  Check the power levels.
4—The capacitor will need to be charged.  Hopefully it can hold enough energy to run the fan for the duration of the burn, 30 minutes to an hour+.  TEGs might be a better choice.
5—Conservation of energy,  you cannot make 10 watts out of 5 watts.  When your volts go up, your amps go down, and watts remain the same (minus heat loss).  Power (watts) = (volts)(amps).

Kirk H.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10