[Stoves] Off-topic:World’s first PM emissions trading scheme?

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 18:11:21 CDT 2019

Crispin:

Thank you. It's been 20 years since I looked into industrial emission
measurement systems and reliability, so I will risk erroneous statements
that I do not have the energy to validate and raise some questions.

1. How does one dilute emissions at the source?

What you are referring to in the early days of EPA is dilution of
concentrations, not of emissions. "Tall stacks" was one such before the New
Source Performance Standards came into effect, I believe for facilities
licensed after 1973 or 1974. I was a witness to both the records and the
facility for a classic case - Homer City, PA - where tall stacks, fuel
change, and coal washing were used to meet the NAAQS but one unit was
subject to NSPS which it failed to meet, even though the three units
together over-complied with emissions required to meet the concentration.

I don't understand your reference to regulators having the right
"calculation". In a scheme such as this, no particular concentration is
targeted, for any particular period or location. All that is counted is
emissions. How the reduction of emissions leads to the location and time
profile of concentrations is another matter. I imagine there are model
simulations with source allocation, but that is an ancillary benefit.

This in turn implies that I am cynical about this being an instrument of a
COMPLIANCE PLAN. There is no enforceable compliance plan for any city in
India that I know of. Requires too much ground work that regulators don't
have the competence and the resources for; no wonder Kirk Smith & Co. get
away with claims that LPG alone will meet ambient air quality standards for
the whole of India. Nobody can tell, and frankly, dear, nobody gives a
damn.

I am also cynical because I do not expect Michael Greenstone to have a
fraction of honesty and passion for a purpose that Kirk Smith and his
associates have (my disagreements with them is a minor matter). This is
likely a research boondoggle, but I will try to find out more when I am
home again.

2. Your assertion about toxicity is also irrelevant. PM2.5 toxicity is not
causally proven, and if at all, any specific pollutants the PM2.5
monitoring may be an indicator of, are ignored in this scheme anyway.

To restate this -- I know from presence in industrial areas of my city or
Surat that there are pollutants from industrial chemicals or open wastes
that in US would be covered under TSCA and the underlying activities banned
or heavily monitored and controlled. No such luck for poor people in India
who suffer the real pollutants. They are guinea pigs for US university
professoriate, that's all.

I don't know if the Gujarat Pollution Control Board or the Gujarat
Ecological Commission (a think tank under the government, not a regulator)
reports document the concentrations of such really toxic substances not
just the indicator that is PM2.5 and picked u p by air quality monitors.
Again, I will try to find out, but absent correction from some colleagues,
I do not expect to be wide of the mark. USEPA and WHO bandwagon of PM2.5 is
a crime against humanity, period.

As Kirk Smith says, "You get what you inspect, not what you expect." He
applies this advice to his own work thus - "We know what air quality
monitors give us by inspection. How do we now convert that into our
expectation? By spreading the gospel of PM2.5 equitoxicity, ignoring the
toxins and pathogens that really kill people, and use the Integrated
Exposure Response curve to concoct DALYs and aDALYs."

But that is immaterial in this bamboozling of Indians by Greenstone.
Whatever changes are seen in concentrations may or may not have any
observable consequences for disease incidence. Such things are left for
epidemiology and public health, and Greenstone is just an economist, namely
a smart liar.

**

Enough. Your reference to SO2 cap-and-trade is misplaced; its purpose was
to reduce the ecological impact of acidic rain by long-range transport.
That it did no such thing and was then valued for PM2.5 reduction is an
example of EPA chicanery. (But economists who buy into PM2.5 health
theology justify the program anyway. There is a paper by Richard
Schmalensee in Journal of Economic Literature Fall 2010 or 2013, I
believe.) I had a cameo role in the research and model forecasts for the
SO2 program; let me leave it at that. The late Philip Lloyd had a
remarkable essay on the EPA hysteria management.

Also, there is no presumption that the cost of emission reduction will be
"passed on to consumers". Stay away pop economics, please.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*