[Stoves] LiveWire article on heating and indoor air quality improvement

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Jun 10 03:32:44 CDT 2019

Thanks Neil. I know you are a quiet support of many sensible things.

You are correct about the impact on children. There is a report submitted by the Tajikistan team to the conference two years ago in Beijing organised by Yabei Shang at the World Bank, collecting all the players involved at the time. The achievement in Tajikistan, which is a very poor country with manifold social and economic problems, was measured using an unusual "ruler".

One of the chronic underheating problems is in school classrooms. In summer the place is boiling hot and the ceilings are necessarily very high - often more than 3 metres. Heating children sitting on benches on the floor is challenging - best done by radiation if possible.  I was shocked to find out that children spend the whole day in school in winter wearing their outdoor coats - it is that cold.

I asked a teacher if "that stove" actually heated the room. Each room has its own stove.  He replied "No, it only takes the edge off the cold." We put TLUD coal stoves with well-regulated excess air in the rooms to see how it went and it was very successful. The measure of impact what that all the photos show the children no longer wearing their outdoor winter coats, only a sweater as one might do at home.

The stoves (Model 3 in the list<http://www.newdawnengineering.com/website/library/Stoves/Kyrgyzstan/>) are fueled and ignited about 7AM and they run for about 9 hours on a charge. By late afternoon there isn't much heat needed. They radiate massively initially heating the room rapidly then slow down to burn the coke.  Emissions are negligible.

They are so hot they had to place a metal fence around the stove to keep kids from accidentally touching or tripping into it.  I think they were about $90. Maybe less.

They were installed in "social buildings" meaning pre-schools, clinics and classrooms which are not heated at night.  During the development of this model we tripped over a better ignition method for TLUD's which is to light on one side of the fuel (by one wall) and draft air across to the opposite side. In addition, the ignition fuel - kindling - was stacked vertically in the centre perhaps 120mm deep. This burns out first, creating a vertical burning hole, onto which collapses the fuel. By then it has been pyrolysed so there is no smoke to speak of. It is a quick ignition and easily reproduced.

This method of ignition was communicated to Wojciech Treter in Poland who confirms it increase the speed of ignition and reduces the TLUD emissions even further (he has been trying to popularise it for existing stoves in Poland).

In Kyrgyzstan the concept of an "interim technology" is important in that no one is going to help these people in a practical manner until everyone has gas and cheap electricity. How far away is that? Two generations?

OK, then in the meantime please support some interim measure that brings large benefits, saving the government hundreds of million in health care costs and productivity loss. E can genuflect at the right altars, but lets get on with doing something beneficial right now.

GIZ has been strong in supporter of this idea in the cooking stove sector. They feel if everyone had a Tier 2 stove, 100%, that is more efficacious that 5% having a Tier 4 stove with its associated expenses.

Cecil Cook calls that "a 100% solution and a 5% solution".  If we "develop" all of the people 5% it is better than developing 5% of the people 100% and 95% not at all.

While everyone is throwing money at preventing global warming, there are many people dying each year or suffering long term consequences of chronic underheating. Hundreds of millions of them.  Everyone can do as they wish, but let's first take care of those easily and inexpensively assisted.

For those interested in CO2 and BC reduction, the net effect of these stoves is 40% drop in CO2 and 92% drop in BC (conservatively estimated).

Est regards

Crispin in Johor, definitely not in need of space heating.

+++++++

I just read your 'Beyond the last mile' report and just wanted to say how impressed I am that you achieved this, overcoming all the obstacles.

Table 1 is just so impressive, and must be immensely satisfying to know that you have facilitated such a health improvement, particularly for the children.

I noticed though that these stoves are described as an 'interim technology', until such time as these poor remote communities get something better?!  Looks as if it will be a hard act to follow for anything.  Anything real that is.

I'm saving a copy, as this dirty fuel political manipulation is so well exposed by this account.  It's a rare and precious thing to be able to see for oneself what is possible that manages to struggle through the vested interest constructed word, giving the lie to it.

Best wishes,   Neil Taylor

stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org<mailto:stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>

http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/