[Stoves] Off-topic: Biomass power and charmaking

Carlo Figà Talamanca carloft at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 02:37:30 CST 2019

Dear Crispin,
very interesting considerations and I completely agree with you. I would
like to add 1 more consideration/variable to be considered related to the
densification of fuel, which is QUALITY and USABILITY. This refers
especially to  (1) char-briquettes and (2) pellets.

1) One of the main characteristics which determines customers acceptance of
the char-briquettes is the robustness (resistance to break). They should
remain compact and not break/brittle when transported, handled and
especially while burning. This characteristic determines fundamentally the
customers' acceptance of the char-briquettes even if they are made from the
same raw material (same energy density). This means that if they are robust
enough (don't break) they will have a determined market value, while if
they are fragile they are practically worthless (can't compete with
traditional charcoal).

2) Pellets have a main disadvantage when compared to other biomass fuels:
they need a specific ad-hoc stove, which is generally not cheap and also
not always accepted by the end-user (user friendly, adapted to cooking
practices, etc.). Therefore, in my opinion, also in this case the energy
density does not provide a comprehensive (stand-alone) indicator with which
biomass fuels can be compared. Without the stove, pellets are virtually
also worthless.

Summarizing, fuels can be compared "economically" through their energy
density, comparing production and transportation costs. However, from the
"commercial" point of view, other criteria such as quality and usability
would need to be taken into consideration as well.

Greetings from Cambodia,
Carlo

*Note:* SGFE has changed it's name to "Khmer Green Charcoal Co., Ltd.".
Please update the related contact details, such as email and website, thank
you.
*Carlo Figà Talamanca - CEO*
*Khmer Green Charcoal Co., Ltd. (KGC**)*
Phlove Lom, Phoum Russey, Sangkat Stueng Meanchey, Khan Meanchey,
Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA
T: +855-(0)97-8159256
E: carlo at kgc-cambodia.com <carloft at gmail.com>
W: www.kgc-cambodia.com <http://www.sgfe-cambodia.com/>