[Stoves] Unexpected Rising Levels of Atmospheric Methane

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Mar 5 21:29:19 CST 2019

Dear Julien

We have a few hundred tests from Yogyakarta that include CH4 measurements. In general CH4 tracks CO pretty closely at a fixed fraction (less than 100%).

For a biomass stove with decent performance, the CO/CO2 ratio will average under 3%. Methane is perhaps 1/4 or 1/8th of that. Let's go with 1/5th.

So that has methane at 0.6 of the CO2 emissions on a volumetric basis. Give it a 20 year CO2e of 20 (as discussed previously) it means 12% of the CO2.

I can't see how this turns into money or benefit for anything. Stoves produce far less methane than another use of biomass. I think it is safe to assume, as CDM does, that all biomass C ends up as CO2 within a short time (which it does).

Turning waste biomass into char and burying it (waste that would otherwise have been badly burned) has a net carbon draw down, for  while. But the effect is Lilliputian compared with planting trees in the Sahel.