[Stoves] Why Ujjwala Failed?

Nikhil Desai ndesai at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 4 14:26:58 CDT 2019

Crispin:

The game is over.

Please stop the theoretical claptrap on potential for clean combustion by
solid fuels to rebut Kirk Smith's theoretical claptrap on potential for
aDALYs by use of gas and electricity.

The chemistry of organic fuels and combustion is not at issue; the path
from science to markets is.

That pollutants lead to disease is also not at issue, by definition; the
path from emission rates to disease is.

I am afraid both are examples of abuse of science. You and other "stove
experts" fell victim to the Lima Consensus, the Hague IWA. At the ISO
TC-285, WHO and EPA won, you lost. All airy fancies of national standards
for international trade in solid fuel cookstoves for poor households were
chimera, excuses for pretense and grants.

Indian household LPG and piped gas are at least 60 years old. As also
electric coil heating of water or cooking.

"Clean" is Kirk Smith's bugaboo. He cooks up deaths and salvation (aDALYs)
to claim that people should forget renewability of biomass, climate damage
by GHGs and BC (including his own), rape prevention, gender equality, etc
because this is ONLY a health problem, the largest health problem in the
world.

Yeah, right.

The British Parliament declared an Environment and Climate Emergency. Let
Modi declare a HAP Emergency, even as he does nothing about air quality or
hunger and undernutrition.

Indian women know their business. They don't earn grants or votes from
propaganda. They chose to stack. It is all contextual.

Gas is clean and convenient, here and now. In the maniacal science circles
Kirk Smith loiters around in the West, it took courage for him to write In
Praise of Petroleum and opinion pieces in support of LPG and electricity.
That his DALY and aDALY claims are based on dubious and deceptive
assumptions and methods is ignored by the media. With peer approval, he has
earned a license - er, contracts - to kill and to save pretty damsels, like
Roger Moore.

Nobody is going to be punished. Not Kirk Smith for declaring that all coal
is carcinogenic or that no biomass stove is "truly health protective". Nor
you for promising jobs and freedom from imports (fuel or experts).

Cooks have shown they want better charcoal stoves, gas stoves, electric
kettles and rice cookers; I believe the World Bank should popularize
electric induction stoves as grid demand management strategy and even for
carbon finance if the marginal peak power source is diesel.

That's a right button to push. Not Ajay and Kirk's aDALY button for Gold
Standard, Goldman Sachs, and GACC.

Nikhil