[Stoves] Making and selling char in India

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon May 6 08:48:48 CDT 2019

Dear Nikhil

>And how could you forget char as soil enhancer for the voluntary carbon market?

Unfortunately, I suspect there is more soil enhancement available from all the BS that accompanies the char-in-ground than from the char-in-ground.

I am a big fan of volunteerism. If people want to fund things for goals they admire, who am I to object?  Just don’t make it compulsory.

The problem with ideological possession is that the ideologically possessed keep trying to implant their ideology the minds of others.

I have a new challenge for stove builders.  Today I got a message from Wojciech Treter in Poland about the “highest quality” coal used in home heating. He says it is a caking coal. That makes excellent coke (nearly pure carbon plus all the ash) but it is difficult to combust the intermediate species on a small scale.  The same would apply to certain very hard woods that produce toxic emissions (see the FAO for a list).  There is a need for a process, a design, for dealing with fuels that require a long residence time at high temperature.

I am thinking that the Rocket Mass Heater (not to be confused with a Rocket Stove) with a very small diameter riser might be just the thing, lined with a suitable refractory material such as a phosphate bonded alumina. Maybe in the form of a split cylinder.

If you wanted to extract the useful hydrocarbons from the fuel and then leave a high carbon remnant this needs a new type of combustor.