[Stoves] Off-topic: "Beyond Fire" - electric cooking beyond established grids

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Fri May 31 03:49:03 CDT 2019

On Thu, 30 May 2019 at 22:22, Nikhil Desai <pienergy2008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://greeninclusiveenergy.org/2019/05/27/beyond-fire/
>
> I don't care for the cost comparisons,  but the following tables excerpted
> from the report are very interesting to get a conversation going about
> *stacking electric cooking and biomass cooking.*
> <snipped>
>

> This report is for solar battery and mini-grid markets. Adding established
> grids and projected grid expansion is an easy task. I think switching to
> low-cost charcoal, LPG, and electric cookers (and efficient appliances like
> pressure cookers and thermal storage) can transform Sub-Saharan Africa
> urban and rural energy markets in 25 years.
>

> <snipped>
>
> Converting every user for 100% switch permanently - what Kirk Smith and
> Co. have been arguing since 2014 - is both nutty and impossible.

Interesting that the tables show electricity from a Solar PV mini grid uses
less power and total energy per meal compared with other fuels, paraffin
seems to perform particularly poorly (why?). Most electricity is derived
from another primary fuel so in other cases the energy cost of the fuel
used to generate the electricity and transmit it needs to be in the account.

I don't understand the objection to "stacking", is it just that  if less
clean cooking appliances are used as well as the cleaner ones the
improvement is simply not good enough?

Andrew