[Stoves] Off-topic: "Beyond Fire" - electric cooking beyond established grids

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 17:44:05 CDT 2019

https://greeninclusiveenergy.org/2019/05/27/beyond-fire/

I don't care for the cost comparisons,  but the following tables excerpted
from the report are very interesting to get a conversation going about
*stacking electric cooking and biomass cooking.*
A "metropolitan area" or "district wide" - focusing on current users of
questionable solid fuels use - "energy transition for improved air quality"
strategies could be designed, with a baseline and project scenario energy
and air quality modeling.

With all users and all fuels. I did something of that kind for Addis
households in 1993; papers and files lost, and did not address air quality
at all. It did include electric mtad (already heavily promoted), improved
charcoal stoves (Jiko adapted), improved wood mtad (Mirte), and improved
charcoaling, plus LPG that was then expected to come from the Calub field.
Making independent assumptions about costs and market shares - and adding
CFLs for lighting - we discovered a plausible plan with a) no "woodfuel
deficit" (supplies matching demands at the projected costs) and b) lower
costs, despite population growth.

This report is for solar battery and mini-grid markets. Adding established
grids and projected grid expansion is an easy task. I think switching to
low-cost charcoal, LPG, and electric cookers (and efficient appliances like
pressure cookers and thermal storage) can transform Sub-Saharan Africa
urban and rural energy markets in 25 years.

Where there's a will, there is a way. It so happens that electricity
promoters have the will, the zeal, and the capacities to deal. Governments
can play a good matchmaking and monitoring role without excessive biases.
(I think Crispin has a lead on something quite promising.)

Converting every user for 100% switch permanently - what Kirk Smith and Co.
have been arguing since 2014 - is both nutty and impossible.

Nikhil

[image: image.png] [image: image.png]