[Stoves] Fwd: Fwd: Simple Modifications to Traditional Wood Cookstoves - Rocks and Clay Grates

Rogerio carneiro de miranda carneirodemiranda at gmail.com
Fri May 31 08:19:58 CDT 2019

Hi Crispin:

No, I do not have such controller.

The way on which the gas flows under the oven is by naturally  going
around the three sides of the oven (above, side and under) and until it
heats up the chimney.  However, by this way using firewood it can take
longer to heat up the chimney and cause some back up draft and leakages.

Therefore,  to avoid the problems above we strongly recommend to our
clients (as plan A) to first heat up the chimney by burning in a small can
a bit of alcohol gel or liquid, for about 10 minutes until the chimney is
warmed. Alcohol can make this job faster and cleaner, and after the chimney
is warmed, they can begin feed firewood into the rocket stove combustion
chamber.   It works very well.  Alcohol is plenty available here in the
markets and gas stations.

Plan B is to put alcohol gel into a small cup at base of the vertical
chimney (our chimneys comes with such accessory to easy chimney cleaning
and warm up), so to heat the chimney immediately.

Here is a short tutorial about such procedures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bQZkI2Zg6Y

Rogério