[Stoves] Pebble bed three stone fire

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Nov 9 20:28:01 CST 2019

	This is to hope for a bit of additional brainstorming on the dissemination aspects of Kevin’s work with rocks.  Anyone know how to get the attention of Bill and Melinda Gates?  Any other similar Philanthropists?

See below.

Ron

> On Nov 9, 2019, at 12:42 AM, K McLean <info at sun24.solar> wrote:
>
> Rocks beds:
> 1.  Are a free idea (as opposed to a product);
> 2.  Are simple; and
> 3.  Provide the user with something highly desired (saved time and/or money).
> This combination allows for rapid and inexpensive dissemination.  (Is this combination unique in the aid world?)
>
> I believe that in a couple years and at relatively little cost (tens of millions of dollars), half of households worldwide using traditional wood cookstoves could be permanently using rock beds, cutting fuel usage by a third.

	[RWL:  	Maybe 3 billion people might benefit.  With maybe 2 modified  stoves per household and 6 people per family and getting to half of those, means 500 million stoves as an initial target.  Dividing by a $25 million ask, this is 20 stoves per dollar - or 5 cents each stove - most of the money going once only to local trainers - none to the stoves themselves.

	This can impact both wood and charcoal users.  Again, no materials are being moved around.  Only ideas.

	I suggest that Kevin is also the right person to handle this expansion of what he is presently doing.  Probably will be able to hand some money back.

	see one more note below.

> Kevin
>
> On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 12:43 AM Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com <mailto:crispinpigott at outlook.com>> wrote:
> Dear Nikhil
>
> I'd like to prepare a message in a similar vein. How is it possible that simple measures such as aerating the fuel bed have not been taken up at scale?
>
> This concept is not new at all. There are three products I can think of that were brought forward in say, ten years, which did exactly the same thing. When Kevin first reported to me his effort to have very simple changes - the metal rod bent into a flat "U" - we had a discussion about other ways people have tried. The clay grate we were shown at the meeting is exactly the same as the grate in the Improved Kitchen stoves promoted 10 years ago in Central Java. Exactly.

	[RWL:  Kevin is not now proposing either metal rods or clay (or metal) grates.  Only rocks.   I know of nothing in the stove literature on using zero-cost rocks.

		<snip rest as not being about rocks or trainers>

Ron