[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 111, Issue 15

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Nov 22 07:46:03 CST 2019

Dear Norm and All

Thanks for the report. You have described a typical design session when all and sundry and sundry’s uncle shop up to “design a stove”.  Nothing wrong with that.  Usually there is cross-fertilization.

I agree with the suggesting that the discussion be held here. There is so little activity and it would permit hangers-on to just look over the shoulders now and then if they wish.

I love your description of what popped up in conversation. Innovation is a rather open field with many obscuring trees, fences and hummocks.  A major issue is “the obscuring dust of acquired knowledge”.

Especially when that knowledge turns out to be hearsay.  Anyway, lets forge ahead and see what the problem definition is, and what the solutions offer.  It’s too bad we didn’t invite Hirendra Chakrabarti to join us. He was creating many up and downdraft gasifiers with biomass and coal decades before Tom Reed and Ron Larsen got going. He is still alive, amazingly, and very active.  He produces dozens of large top-loaded, bottom-lit, updraft gasifiers.  Anton Soedjarwo is another who builds these using the very latest Japanese technologies and ideas. He has a gasifier that produces zero char, zero vile black liquids and a clean gas which can be fed into an engine. The fuel is palm oil empty hand bunches (a waste biomass).

These guys know a thing or two about “cooking with gas”.

Everyone;

I also would like to be included in a list of people discussing TLUD design - but, I tend to think it ought to be an open discussion here on the stove's list without letting previous conclusions dictate directions forward. I recognize that is a very careful balance between harebrained half-concocted imaginative ideas and old-school understanding but the result is creative ideas and inspirations. Recently, we had a TLUD Summit at Aprovecho. It was enormously productive because everyone involved brought everything they could think of to the table for discussion. It was also incredibly busy. But, I would not trade the experience for anything because I was exposed to so many ideas from so many people and, luckily, I think I was able to help out a few people attending.

Norm