[Stoves] Energy requirement

Harris, Kirk gkharris316 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 16 15:23:48 CDT 2019

Paul,

How do you intend to use this?  Will this make a difference for a cook
who gathers and burns sticks to cook food, and really doesn't care about
mathematics?  Would not your efforts be better used working on a level
closer to the cook?

This reminds me of the years of conflict on how to calculate how much
heat gets into a pot of water (thermal efficiency?).  None of those
calculations told us about a wok, plancha, or a tandoori, or about
putting vegetables or meat into the water to make soup or stew (change
in heat absorption and circulation).  Also, those calculations told us
more about the *_interface_* between the stove and cooking vessel (pot
stand, skirt, super pot, different size or shape pot, and I will include
lid for the pot here) and its effect on getting the heat produced by the
stove into an open pot of water, then it told us about the burning
efficiencies of the stove.  Is not the direction of your inquiry of
limited value for cooks in the field, but rather getting caught-up in
the fine mathematical details and minimizing value in the overall picture?

I do like that you are discussing food rather than a pot of water.  Does
a stew have the same heat absorbing qualities as a stir-fry or a
tortilla?  Currently thermal efficiency is determined using an open pot
of water, which is different from these.

With respect for your work,

Kirk H.

https://www.avg.com