[Stoves] Energy requirement

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Oct 17 10:24:36 CDT 2019

Dear Andrew

I was mixing up my Piets. Sorry about that everyone.

The file comes from a folder titled Testing by Piet Visser.  I was rushing and confused that with the discussions I had with Peter Verhaart. So substitute names as necessary.  Both were at the Eindhoven stove group office in the early 80's.

This list is not very complete but it gives you an idea of what cooking energy is really needed. I recall that cabbage was the highest absorber of energy during its decomposition.

I believe this list is the specific heat of the items, not the investment in energy needed to transform them.  This investigation is not over.

Rice 10.5 - 13.5 %mc wwb,  1.76 - 1.84 (kJ/kg.K)
Flour 12 - 13.5 %mc wwb, 1.80 - 1.88 (kJ/kg.K)
Bread 44 - 45%mc wwb, 2.72 - 2.85(kJ/kg.K)
Lentils 12%mc wwb, 1.84(kJ/kg.K)
Meat 39 - 90%mc wwb, 2.01 - 3.89(kJ/kg.K)
Vegetable oil1.46 - 1.88(kJ/kg.K)
Milk 87.5%mc wwb, 3.85(kJ/kg.K)
Carrots 86 - 90%mc wwb, 3.81 - 3.93(kJ/kg.K)
Onions 80 - 90%mc wwb, 3.60 - 3.89(kJ/kg.K)
Potatoes 75%mc wwb, 3.51(kJ/kg.K)
Apples 75 - 85%mc wwb, 3.72 - 4.02(kJ/kg.K)
Specific heats averaged over 0 - 100 oC

I'll attach it as CSV text

I'm not sure what it tells us as most of those foods would be cooked in additional water.

These figures show the energy needed to raise them through one degree, you also mention that reactions the food undergoes are endothermic, so absorb some of the heat supplied. The major reaction is likely to be hydrolysis, where water molecules become inserted into longer chains to break them into smaller compounds which the human gut can digest better.

I am not sure the reactions when proteins coagulate nor why they then become more digestible, I'm thinking of eggs and meat here.

Andrew