[Stoves] Energy requirements

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Oct 19 07:10:29 CDT 2019

Dear Nikhil

>None such exists in any country I know of for household-scale solid fuel cooking.

SANS 1111 Coal Stove standard of 1982 is a national standard for solid fuel cooking stoves.  Another is Indian IS 13152. Another is Mongolian MN 5045:2001, 5568:2005, 19528:2005, :2016

>The fundamental problem is that you don't have a problem, and can't have any evidence for solving the problem except in a well-defined and meaningful (hopefully legal) context.

I think we have a good problem definition in Ulaanbaatar.

>What's more, no regulator will mess with "learnability", even at larger scales and in rich countries.

Projects can.

>I remember the fights over BACT (Best Available Control Technology) and MACT (Maximum Available Control Technology) in the US. And those were in the context of air quality in particular air basins.

Those created important lessons.

>Although not articulated in those terms, one question was "adaptability" - how soon a technology could become routinely available in the whole package of equipment, maintenance, service manuals.

Although qualitative they are important assessments.

>"Learnability" is still useful to product designers in unregulated markets. I suggest sifting through the regulatory processes for building design and neighborhood planning.

I doubt we can regulate learnability but it is very useful for assessments trying to predict adoption and % of the time it is used.

>…it is of paramount importance to know who cooks what where when and how much.

Exactly.

>Time to end this "one household, one stove, one food" delusion. The Great Failure of ISO was not accidental; I had anticipated it in 2012 when commenting on the prior poppycock of "the Lima Consensus".

You did.

>Do we have no shame left, sir?

Let’s not lump everyone into the same amorphous mass.