[Stoves] Improving cooking with charcoal

Harris, Kirk gkharris316 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 30 19:10:08 CDT 2019

All,

I look at my Stove Tec charcoal stove and note that it has a grate that
lets air into the charcoal from below.  This gives a hotter and more
lively flame than burning on a solid surface.  The rocks would do the
same thing, providing better air flow. Reducing the charcoal quantity
would reduce the air flow resistance through the fuel, again improving
air flow.  This hotter more lively flame, with effective secondary air
mixing, will burn the CO better.   Sam at Aprovecho has done a lot of
research on burning charcoal, and would be one of those to be
consulted.  He also found that if the CO passes through a flame it burns
better, which makes sense because when it meets the secondary air, it
will be preheated and the flame will provide an ignition source.
Providing adequate air, space, time and heat to keep a CO flame going
above the charcoal will help eliminate CO emissions.  I don't see
anything new with the rocks, just a good application of existing knowledge.

Kirk H.

https://www.avg.com