[Stoves] VITA's origins

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Sep 24 22:19:37 CDT 2019

List, cc Kevin,  Richard and Crispin.  (And adding another current AT leader - David Bartecchi)

	The primary purpose of this note is to further assist Kevin, who started this thread with a question about VITA.  Kevin’s interest in stoves is unique on this list - being on zero and extremely low cost improvements to 3-stone cook fires,

	I am going to break my response up into several responses - since they cover different topics - but trying to tie all in to the work Kevin is doing on stoves.

	See inserts below

> On Sep 23, 2019, at 9:49 PM, Richard Stanley <rstanley at mind.net> wrote:
>

> Let me chime in here with  bit of history about VITA in the early years; Volunteers in Technical assistance was founded by a one Dr. Beno Sternlicht in the ?? late 60's. It was initially based in Schenectady New York ( the then home of General Electric corporation,  where Sternlicht worked. I joined them fresh out of peace corps in 1970 and worked for  a year before realising that the salary would not get us very far. The initial crew consisted of about ten staff in a quonset hut on the campus of Union college  in Schenectady but it had incredible outreach. by the time I joined, there were already several thousand technical assistance "Vita Volunteers", spread all over the US. VITA did not operate in a vacuum, as the interaction and outreach exposed it to a far wider world. It borrowed heavily on the information provided by missionaries, aid workers,  development organisations all over the world. several of these were recent and others longer-established if less formally known. Schumacher's, Small is Beautiful sprung  UK's own ITDG,  BRACE arose out of, if not in parallel with, the work of Dr Tom Lawand in McGill University in Canada).
>  SKAT out of Switzerland,  TOOL emerged out of several universities in cooperation with the Royal Tropical institute in Holland, as did others out of Germany, France, and India.  As a request coordinator, the incoming "mail" (then the only known form of mail) was loaded with a huge variety of needs and resources one would rarely find in any conventional research organsation, The problem was not finding a solution for the overseas missionary or aid worker or local cooperative etc etc., but rather, how to track and condense it for easy application to a subsequent request from anywhere else.
	[RWL:   I met Richard maybe 20-25 years ago - but had no idea that Richard's VITA background is almost half a century old.  Amazing.

	Especially a note to to Kevin - note that Richard is probably the world’s best expert on low cost pelletization - which we should all be paying attention to - especially those working on char-making stoves.

	The names Schumacher and Lawand are familiar on this list - but I now need to check out SKAT,  TOOL,  and the Royal Tropical Institute.  In today’s review, I found a few others.

	Richard’s final sentence question of tracking is key in this response, and covered next.

> And those were the heady days of file index cards and snail mail and corded phones. A parallel effort was put in place to extract and compile organised manuals from all the technical advice being offered, henceforth,  the Village Technology Handbook.  ITDG was undertaking a parallel effort as was Brace, Tool, Skat and others. The Village Technology Handbook was suceded by the TAICH directory, (Technical Assistance Information Clearinghouse).  VITA subsequently moved its operation to Washington DC as part of their not untypical unending search for operating funds. I doubt whether the politics and the culture of that arena were as much sought after, as VITA suffered from the ensuing Daniel Websterian soul challenging machinations as an unintended consequence. That you are writing about it now suggests they have survived somehow.
>
>  Since I left in 1971,  for grad school and a long sought return to work in international development, I have had only very intermittent contact with VITA but those early heady days in the quonset hut remain a memorable experience indeed.

	[RWL:  Richard's new name above is “Village Technology”.
	 I talked today to David Bartecchi - who heads the group that has ended up with much of this AT (=Appropriate Technology) literature (called Intermediate Technology in the UK’s ITDG (DG for development group).   I strongly urge all interested in AT to look up David’s work at https://www.villageearth.org/ <https://www.villageearth.org/>.   He/they are located in Ft.  Collins, Colorado (home of CSU).   A major reason for the existence of Village Earth there is the work of (now deceased) CSU Prof. Maury Albertson - often given primary credit for the US’ Peace Corps.  I worked with Maury briefly in the early days of this group;  he was a very forceful character.  Not pertinent, but he was particularly fond of hydrogen when we worked together. (His main technical background was water issues).
	I was quite surprised and delighted today to find the this “Village” work is still alive - pretty close to me.

	I urge looking at their multi-book AT library preserved on a thumb-drive ($69).  “Guaranteed" to not include TLUDs and biochar - but I would love to hear of any new information anyone might divulge who has this repository relevant to Kevin’s work.

	I also intend to send another note soon on NCAT, whose origin I also saw up close. (Dr. Jerry Plunkett residing in Denver - also now deceased).

	And more.

Ron