[Stoves] WBT test results: metal grate with rock bed and conical pot skirt

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jan 25 20:31:04 CST 2020

List with ccs, adding the SNV report preparer in Viet Nam (Ha Hoang)

	This is the additional set of comments I promised a little earlier today.  To understand this, one has to carefully look at (and blow up) the photos - which are in here:

	I insert my thoughts below in bold.  I write here as I would in talking only to Kevin - but this seems like a good chance to get expert comments from our whole list.  This is important data - because Kevin is developing something that is already saving a lot of wood.  And no reason to think he has reached a limit.  He is greatly fortunate to be getting this help from SNV (and I think at least some is being paid for only by Kevin!)

	[SNV1:   In the below tables and graphs below, the stoves performance parameters are presented in relation to the performance of Iron bar only and the LPG stove, the least and most advanced options in the stove stack of rural Vietnam.
	[RWL1:   I was impressed by this IB (= Iron bar) pot support.  Should be in the $1-$2 range.  Looks highly worth it (over heat draining large rocks or bricks).

	One possible small addition would be some lower horizontal bars that might “mimic" the zero cost rocks under study.  This assumes that the size of the rocks and the proposed horizontal “bars” have an optimum - and their small extra cost might have a quick payback.  Rather than the IB’s rebar, which might have about a 1 cm diameter, these could be a factor of 10 lighter (and less costly)

	I wonder if anyone has done a study of the best height of the IB.  Looked OK - but probably can be optimized for different size pots and flames.

	It was nice to see LPG in this table.  Looks good/better - but we need to know the cost - which is likely many times more than the wood cost, especially if the wood is self-collected.  Possible to get that LPG cost?

[SNV2:   IB with a grate is superiour to the stone bed stove, but both signifantly save energy and emissions compared to iron bar.

	[RWL2:  This is a statement about cases A and B.  Note that A’s “grate” is ceramic.  So this says one might also prefer a ("costly”) grate over the free rocks.

	I’d like to see the data on emissions - which are not yet sent to Kevin.

	Why should the grate be better?
		You have to study the photos to see possible reasons.  The rocks are pretty large.
		I can’t tell if this grate is supported from below by some small rocks (a later grate is).  Could be that this grate operation could be improved (as the later metal grate of case C has given slightly better results)

	Statements about C and D are below.

	The first table gives two test outputs for 6 variations.  The next table gives 4 outputs as differences for the right hand 4. I think we are missing a little by showing differences.  I hope to see more data from these 6 runs - since I find this so valuable. Of course it would be nice to have multiple runs, but this is a great start.

Performance Metric

(Average from 3 tests)

Unit

Iron bar

(IB)

LPG

IB+Grate (A)

IB+Stones (B)

IB+rocks bed+metal grate (C)

IB+rocks bed+conical pot skirt (D)

High Power Thermal Eff.

%

23%

64%

35%

28%

36%

35%

Wood fuel equiv. consumed

877

227
466

606

472

508

on[RWL

Difference to IB only

IB+Grate

IB+Stones

IB+rocks bed+metal grate

IB+rocks bed+conical pot skirt

Total time taken (inclusive of lighting period)

26.0%

12.6%
29.0%

33.4%

Wood fuel equiv. consumed

-46.9%

-30.9%

-46.2%

-42.1%

Wood fuel equiv. cons./min

-57.9%

-38.2%

-58.4%

-56.7%

High Power Thermal Efficiency

49.3%

18.8%

52.0%

48.4%

[R

[RWL3:   The first row above shows some surprisingly large differences in time taken.  I hope that Ha Hoang can give some reasons - I don’t see a reason that time taken to start a boils should increase much.  But if one is using a lot less wood to keep the temp just close to boiling, then taking longer with less wood is also a plus. - which might say the use with the skirt is best.  I don’t understand this well yet.

RWL4:  Case B is still a surprise for 3 bottom rows  The other three cases are not much different from each other.  But I think it could help hundreds of millions of stove users to do more work on further perturbations with rocks rather than  grates.

[RWL5:  I’d like to better understand the efficiency number - apparently doesn’t include the full test period?    Only the high power portion?

    I don’t see a good reason to stop and restart when reaching a boil.  Would seem to make it difficult to compare tests.

SNV6.    With all rocks bed setting variation (A, B, C, D), the efficiency and fuel consumption are substantially higher compare to iron bar only (IB). This is explained by superior air circulation with the grate/stones, more concentrated fire directed to the bottom of the pot that improves heat transfer and less heat loss to the ground.
[RWL6: Agree with most.  But why is the fire more concentrated?  Would this still hold if the IB itself was a little shorter?

SNV7.    Fuel consumption and efficiency for Grate options (A and C) reduce more than rocks bed only option (B) since the grate allows for better air mixture and optimal combustion. The grate holes creates a better draft that is directed the fire.

[RWL7:   Probably all true - and argues for grates over rocks.  But maybe a better selection of rocks?   I’d like to see a direct comparison between thick ceramic and thin metal grates.  Finding an optimum grate could cost or save a lot of money.

Zooming in on the metal plate looks like maybe the holes were punched rather than drilled - which could be a major help in keeping them open.   Three short bolts might give better performance than rocks below (and cost only a few pennies).

SNV8.     The performance of ceramic grate is quite similar to the metal grate with 2 layers of rocks bed. However, as observed during the previous KPT, the ceramic grate is very easy to be broken so if disseminating the cooking innovation, the metal grate with rocks bed might be a more durable solution.

      [RWL8:  I vaguely recall the KPT.  Probably little numerical data to help us to optimize.  I hope others can chime in on comparing ceramic to metal grates.

SNV9    When putting the conical pot skirt around the pot (D) for rocks bed only option, the efficiency and fuel consumption was improved and closer to the Grate options (A and C). With this setting, part of the hot air instead of radiating outside, it will concentrated by the conical pot skirt and heating the pot. Therefore the heat was better optimized. Looking at the smoke went straight up around the pot in the video Conical pot skirt.mp4 could illustrate the above conclusion.

	[RWL9:   This could be the most exciting part of the report.   The other 3 cases would seem to say the cone should also be combined - not with stones - but with a grate.

	The mp4 link goes to https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JExCPpuKlBbzo50T5UfRG37l-mLybqxu/view <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JExCPpuKlBbzo50T5UfRG37l-mLybqxu/view> .  29 seconds are worth watching.

	Has anyone seen this particular type of skirt?  The top of the cone is slightly larger than the pot.  (How much?) I can’t tell how high the cone comes above the bottom of the cook pot.

	It would be interesting to see more about how the flame flow separates away from the pot.  Whether adding  a more traditional vertical cylinder (not cone - or maybe the same cone??) could also be worth its likely relative small cost.

	In sum, I congratulate SNV for doing a very nice job.  And especially to Kevin for instigating (and paying?) for the test.

	I look forward also to seeing how much char can be produced by a cook.  Maybe with corn cobs?

	Next for me is the justification for the present ISO WBT handling of this future char - my promised rationale for the “denominator equation”.

Ron