[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Modified Cinese Retail TLUD Camp Stove

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Sat Mar 28 19:01:59 CDT 2020

Andrew's post taking me to the bioenergylists.org main page and seeing
Jim Tisso's modifications to the Chinese stainless steel ND camp stove I
use, prompts me to write with a different suggestion for modifying the
primary air to reduce soot and towering infernos with close to zero
moisture wood, especially after having conducted a recent experiment that
underlined for me how advantageous that would be.

Firstly, I don't agree that the stove is designed for too much primary
air.  I think this is to mistake its primary purpose which is as a
lightweight portable camp stove for burning found wood, and which will
inevitably come with varying degrees of moisture, especially in colder
wetter climates. The very similar bush buddy uses a quite widely spaced
wire grate, so even more primary air.  Ditto the solo stove which copies
it.  Only if in an arid zone with consistently very dry fuel, a
perforated disk, which could even be a sacrificial circle of card, or a
few washers dropped onto the grate, restricting the primary air might
serve as a semi permanent modification for such an environment.

Secondly, soot is really not that much of a problem, given that it can
easily be wiped, brushed or washed off the pot, and the pot can be
carried in a plastic bag to contain the black.  It's not been a problem
for us a month away at a time.

Thirdly, a lot of primary air makes for an easier start to the burn,
without the need for risers etc., especially with less than perfectly dry
wood.  Then when underway the flame might be optimal and smoke free,
depending on the moisture content. If there is variety in the fuel
available it can be mixed to achieve the sort of burn you want. A small
cache of very dry wood might be carried, just to start the pyrolysis
front which quickly reaches less dry found wood. This is obviously easier
to arrange at home.  If you are relying entirely on one stove when
camping then getting it lit under all conditions and sustaining a
reasonable heat, trumps every other consideration and this is where this
stove excels.

The other day at home I loaded the stove vertically with totally dry
split hardwood, but then sprinkled some very fine woodchip - chainsaw
sawdust sized, and let that trickle through the gaps.  This sufficiently
restricted the primary air throughout the burn that it extended the time
of the burn very usefully, while still being easy to light, and
maintained a nice medium heat.  I cooked a full English breakfast for
two, and with the kelly kettle replacing the pot stand and concentrator,
boiled water for two large mugs of coffee, all without reloading, and
then had to wait half a minute or so for pyrolysis to finish before
'quenching' a full stove of char in the biscuit tin.  Never got that much
out of a single charge before in this stove.  It really highlighted that
mixing damp wood with dry, while that can achieve the length of burn and
size of fire wanted, it undoubtedly comes at the cost of wasting some of
the energy drying the wood.

It prompted me to come up with a way to control the primary air at will
throughout the burn so that I might maximise the benefits of burning
close to zero moisture wood, and obtain useful turn down in general.

I never cease to be impressed by the design, and the great versatility of
this stove -  the number of different fuelings and loadings I have
successfully experimented with.  That versatility is IMO a prerequisite
of such a stove, but which would be severely compromised by a permanent
modification to reduce the primary air, in the absence of perfectly
consistent dry fuel.  But how to make it variable without adding
significantly to weight, its packed size when telescoped down, and its
basic unmodified characteristics, ie. the availability of unrestricted
full draft?

Further down the bioenergylists page I came to Robert Fairchild's 'steam
pan charcoal stove', and he uses precisely what I had in mind as a mod
for the grate, which is as simple as it gets, except that successful
execution presents some challenges, for me at least.

The simple lever would extend through the bottom air holes of the outer
shell, with the space between two of them removed.  In his illustration
the two metal faces are nicely snug, but then it doesn't look as if the
stove had actually been fired!

With both my Chinese stoves the grates are by now quite buckled and not
at all flat after much use, and even showing some signs of burning out
with splits.  So I would have to start with a brand new stove, and then
manage to cut the diamond holes in a disk without buckling it in the
process, something I have already tried and dismally failed to achieve.
Then it could quickly become no good if the plates buckled from the heat,
creating significant permanent airways.

It occurred to me that I might succeed better if I had another pot of the
same diameter, (4", 10cm), that I could cut down, leaving a sufficient
lip to face downwards and stabilise the disk sufficiently to make for a
good enough seal to sufficiently prevent permanent airway gaps that
prevented a fuller restriction of the primary air.  It would not have to
cut off all primary air obviously, just enough to achieve a useful
minimum.

So far I have not managed to find anything suitable, an ordinary tin can
unfortunately does not have a flat base, so the seal would be
compromised.  But I might try it anyway, since nothing much to lose.

I can imagine that properly manufactured as a version of this stove it
could be executed well, and that users would need to know no more to
benefit from it than that it is a lever to control the desired size of
the flame, but start it fully open, then turn down as desired.

I would be interested in any DIY suggestions or if a manufacturer might
consider such a modification?

Best wishes,    Neil Taylor, 'locked down' in England