[Stoves] Modified Cinese Retail TLUD Camp Stove

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 05:20:57 CDT 2020

I don't know why your post earned a spam flag Neil, I've edited it off.

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 00:04, <neiltm at uwclub.net> wrote:

> Andrew's post taking me to the bioenergylists.org main page and seeing
> Jim Tisso's modifications to the Chinese stainless steel ND camp stove I
> use, prompts me to write with a different suggestion for modifying the
> primary air to reduce soot and towering infernos with close to zero
> moisture wood, especially after having conducted a recent experiment that
> underlined for me how advantageous that would be.

I see the stove you refer to on stoves.bioenergylists.org but am
unfamiliar with it, I presume it is sold online?

Traditionally primary air controls power and you note also the moister
the wood the more primary air. So I agree there must be good control
of primary air over a range of feedstock, the exception would be
something guaranteed to be homogeneous, like pellets.

> Secondly, soot is really not that much of a problem, given that it can
> easily be wiped, brushed or washed off the pot, and the pot can be
> carried in a plastic bag to contain the black.  It's not been a problem
> for us a month away at a time.

This last bit worries me; to my mind the big reason for using top lit
updraught is that it produces very few particulates, this is because
the offgas is fairly rich and largely devoid of inert dilutants like
CO2, N2 and H2O. If the pot has become sooty this points to the
secondary flame having been quenched before completion. Possibly not a
problem in a camping scenario but just what we want to avoid when
considering indoor air pollution.

It's at a time like this that we appreciate why indoor air pollution
is significant in its effect on the respiratory system.

Take care and keep safe.

Andrew