[Stoves] .... How to Make Biomass Energy Sustainable Again_Coppicing_Pollards_Hedgerows_Line Plantings

DHAN HURLEY dhanhurley at rocketmail.com
Sat Nov 14 17:23:29 CST 2020

Hi Crispin,
The Biolite isn't very good.If i remember correctly,Aprovecho has an 18 watt Thermo-Electric Generator.Surely $100 is a lot of money in Uganda, it would be better to make a stove witha TEG themselves or pay a handyman to make one. It could be a good business.
The problem of over-use and waste is encountered with many devices e.g.Earth ( Telluric ) Batteries, Solar Energy Devices ( passive and active ), Wind
Generators ( especially the really good devices ), Mechanical 2-Stage
Oscillator etc.

It could be disastrous if mankind has "unlimited" energy, even "clean" energy,at it's disposal.
By the way did the MONOTHERMAL GENERATOR & RESISTIVE PAINTS / COATINGScompany contact you?
 Lovell Patented Technology ....

http://www.lovellpatentedtechnology.com/index.html
The Monothermal is a multi-layer laminate that generates electrical current in the presence of ambient heat.

The Monothermal produces electrical current without utilizing existing methods that require heat differential (any method that converts temperature differences into electrical energy -- Seebeck Effect, Thomson Effect, etc.) and without requiring a chemical reaction (i.e. a redox reaction in batteries). The invention can be said to be similar to photoelectric cells (solar panels) that motivate electrons by exploiting photons (light), except that the Monothermal motivates electrons via infrared radiation -- and any molecular activity that produces heat -- without a non-differential heated environment.

   On Saturday, November 14, 2020, 4:56:23 PM GMT+1, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
 Dear Dan
I hear people are buying a Biolite stove in Uganda for $100 and running it all day to play the radio. Net biomass consumption is up in those households. Good or bad?  It is renewable....
Regards Crispin
| From: dhanhurley at rocketmail.com

Hi,
This article is from a very good online LOW-TECH MAGAZINE
Doubts on progress and technology

The articles are very well written.They even have a SOLAR-POWERED WEBSITE, based in Spain.
In One World,
Dhan Hurley

DIASPORA COMMUNITY.... My PROFILE PAGE :- IRISH, MUSICIAN, POET, PHYSICS, “FREE-ENERGY”, LINUX PROFI, ALTERNATIVE SYSTEMS, GEOPOLYMERS, ALTERNATIVE HEALTH-FARMING-MATERIALS,ORMUS, MYSTIC, etc.
https://despora.de/people/6d39a7e04a610132027a42cdb1fcde73

                   *********************************

See also :- Thermoelectric Stoves: Ditch the Solar Panels?
Also :- The Printed WebsiteRead Low-tech Magazine with no access to a computer, a power supply, or the internet.

Coppicing.... Pollards & Hedgerows....Line PlantingsHarvesting wood from living trees instead of killing them is beneficial for the life forms that depend on them. Coppice forests can have a richer biodiversity than unmanaged forests, because they always contain areas with different stages of light and growth. None of this is true in industrial wood plantations, which support little or no plant and animal life, and which have longer rotation cycles (of at least twenty years).

https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2020/09/how-to-make-biomass-energy-sustainable-again.html

How to Make Biomass Energy Sustainable Again

>From the Neolithic to the beginning of the twentieth century, coppiced woodlands, pollarded trees, and hedgerows provided people with a sustainable supply of energy, materials, and food.

How is Cutting Down Trees Sustainable?

Advocating for the use of biomass as a renewable source of energy – replacing fossil fuels – has become controversial among environmentalists. The comments on the previous article,which discussed thermoelectric stoves, illustrate this:

   - “As the recent film Planet of the Humans points out, biomass a.k.a. dead trees is not a renewable resource by any means, even though theEU classifies it as such.”
   - “How is cutting down trees sustainable?”
   - “Article fails to mention that a wood stove produces more CO2 than a coal power plant for every ton of wood/coal that is burned.”
   - “This is pure insanity. Burning trees to reduce our carbon footprint is oxymoronic.”
   - “The carbon footprint alone is just horrifying.”
   - “The biggest problem with burning anything is once it’s burned, it’s gone forever.”
   - “The only silly question I can add to to the silliness of this piece, is where is all the wood coming from?”

In contrast to what the comments suggest, the article does not advocate the expansion of biomass as an energy source. Instead, it argues that already burning biomass fires – used by roughly 40% of today’s global population – could also produce electricity as a by-product, if they are outfitted with thermoelectric modules. Nevertheless, several commenters maintained their criticism after they read the article more carefully. One of them wrote: “We should aim to eliminate the burning of biomass globally, not make it more attractive.”
Apparently, high-tech thinking has permeated the minds of (urban) environmentalists to such an extent that they view biomass as an inherently troublesome energy source – similar to fossil fuels. To be clear, critics are right to call out unsustainable practices in biomass production. However, these are the consequences of a relatively recent, “industrial” approach to forestry. When we look at historical forest management practices, it becomes clear that biomass is potentially one of the most sustainable energy sources on this planet.

stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

for more Biomass Cooking Stoves,  News and Information see our web site:
http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/