[Stoves] sawdust stove

K McLean kmclean56 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:00:58 CST 2021

Norm,

I am very excited about sawdust stoves. I have colleagues in Uganda, Kenya
and Malawi testing them.  Their testing is crude but uniformly successful.
In fact, the wife of one of them has completely stopped using charcoal and
is now only cooking with sawdust.  He says the stove burns for five hours
without tending.  There is smoke when starting but almost no smoke
thereafter, similar to charcoal. Their stove is 27 cm high and 26 cm
diameter

He also tested a stove 25 cm high and 21 cm diameter which works well.  It
cooked for just over 2 hours.

There are many websites that discuss making sawdust stoves out of used
gallon paint cans.  Metal paint cans are getting hard to find now in Africa
and Asia, though.  I tested sawdust in a gallon paint can with mixed
results.  I sourced my sawdust from a cabinet maker.  The sawdust is very
fine, like dust.  That may be my problem.  After packing the sawdust and
removing the pipe, the center hole held.  But the sawdust would not burn
without an external flame from below.  When the external flame was removed,
the sawdust smoldered until all of the sawdust turned to char.  The amount
of smoke was unacceptable.

[image: image.png]

This sawdust stove is built like a traditional rocket stove, with a hole on
the side.  Some of my colleagues prefer this design over stoves with the
hole in the bottom.  If the hole is on the bottom, the stove must be
elevated (eg, with bricks).

They have tested with many fuels and continue to test with more fuels and
fuel mixtures.  These fuels work, though none work as well as sawdust:
maize cobs, maize stalks, rice hulls, rice straw, banana peels, cassava
peels.  Some fuels like rice hulls cannot sustain a flame by themselves.
They need firewood or other fuel burning.  A single maize stalk burning
below the rice hulls does the trick.  Pine needles haven't worked in our
testing.

The stoves tend to emit very little smoke and they produce biochar.

A concentrator ring on top helps.

We are working on designs that will be affordable to even the poorest
families, $1-2.

I see great potential with sawdust stoves for shifting cooking fuel from
nonrenewable wood to renewable sawdust and crop waste.  My colleagues say
that where they live huge piles of sawdust can be found at sawmills and
even at carpenter shops.  There is no use for the sawdust so it is often
just burned.  I've heard the same about piles of rice hulls.

Sawdust stoves had been around for decades.  I don't know why they are not
ubiquitous.  I'm sure others on this list have experience with sawdust
stoves and can explain what is a conundrum to me.

Kevin McLean
Sun24