[Stoves] sawdust stove

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 12:42:52 CST 2021

A message from Norm Baker which was too big for the list so I resized
the pictures

Andrew

Gentlemen;

Out of simple curiosity I built a sawdust stove. In nearly 15 years of
messing with TLUDs I had never heard of a sawdust stove, so I followed
the original publication and constructed one from a 7 gallon popcorn
can. Took about 15 minutes for construction. Here is what I found of
interest;
a. First, I dried the red Alder sawdust from a local lumber mill over
electric heat and I know the moisture content was less than 10%.
b. It is a touchy stove. Even when I firmly packed the dry sawdust,
the sawdust was very susceptible to collapsing inward on the central
hole when the pipe was removed.
c. It smoked for the entire burn.
d. Interestingly, the smoke had the turbulence seen in a flame cap
kiln and rolled over the edge of the popcorn can and into the flame. I
could tell much of the smoke was consumed but not nearly enough.
e. As the sawdust was consumed, after flames cover the entire
horizontal surface of the sawdust, the char started combusting and the
translucent blue flames were easily visible around the edge of the
stove.
f. Touching the stove in any fashion, resulted in a surprising amount
of sparks in the exhaust stream. These sparks or fireflies went as
high as 10 foot up into the air before being extinguished in the air
or on wet vegetation nearby.
g. I was surprised that the stove had a 2 1/2 hour burn time on four
kilograms of sawdust.

All in all, an interesting stove, but not one I would recommend anyone
start using. The amount of smoke and hot sparks are simply
unacceptable.

Norm