[Stoves] burning wood gas

Harris, Kirk gkharris316 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 21 18:04:11 CDT 2021

Gordon,

I like that story about the fluid mechanics scientist.  There are indeed
lots of corners in this stove.  He was probably referring to turbulence
created by rounding the corner.  I have not thought of it in terms of
going around corners for mixing, but if I did, the technique in this
stove is to have the secondary air go around an interior corner, which
will increase its pressure, and have the wood gas go around an exterior
corner, which will decrease its pressure.  Having them do this right
next to each other maximizes the pressure difference that injects the
secondary air into the wood gas.  The two corners work together, like
the two sails on a sloop.  Going around a corner is two dimensional, you
are going one direction, and then you are going a second direction.
TLUD stoves are three dimensional.  In the case of this stove, the wood
gas is moving up, and than it is spread in all directions by the bluff body.

The shape of the flame-lets are like the petals of a tulip, and appear
to be laminar, at least for two or so inches after being formed by the
bluff body.  For a natural draft primary air supply most of the flame is
here, so there must be mixing here.  Forced primary air makes big flame
petals.  More experimenting is needed to determine the dynamics of these
larger flames.

The system doesn't seem to have need for electronic controls.  I can't
be certain until I can get to Aprovecho to test it with their
equipment.  I will keep an eye on it to note any signs of improper
amounts of secondary air.  So far it looks good.

Mostly I use soft wood pellets for fuel, but have tried found wood.
Some worked well, others not so good.

The test stove seems to be sensitive to wind.  I am trying various
combinations to remedy this.  Suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for sharing your insights,

Kirk H.

https://www.avg.com