[Stoves] burning wood gas

Gordon West gordon.west at rtnewmexico.com
Tue Jul 20 08:14:33 CDT 2021

A number of years ago a retired fluid mechanics scientist/engineer visited the shop and saw some of our attempts to mix air with smoke, most of them involving swirling. He explained to me that swirling is not very effective because it doesn’t do much to disturb laminar flow - unless you put some obstructions in the flow of the swirl. He said that the basic principle of mixing fluids is to make them go around 90 degree corners.

I see in Kirk’s designs a lot of going around corners, which seems to be where the best mixing effects are showing up. Something like putting tabs in a swirl would probably mix well and extend the time of mixing as opposed to a shorter path of the simple direct rising draft of gases. Other important refinements relate to controlling the shape of the resulting flame, for which the cones and such come into play.

Optimizing the air/fuel mixture in an adjustable power scenario without combustion gas sensors and feedback loops and powered combustion air will probably be a guessing game without a good deal of expensive gear and real data collection. Variability from feedstock type and quality is a constant, so there can be no high degree of precision in control - the question is, what degree of control is necessary? My guess is that for simple stove technology the test is: "if it looks good, it’s probably pretty good."

Gordon