[Stoves] Remarkable stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Jun 15 13:20:34 CDT 2021

Dear Julien

In order to match the cooking power with the cooking power demand, I developed a field evaluation method for use in Indonesia as part of the CSI test method.  This was used in the field with some success.  It is the information baseline that informs the contextual lab test that is the “real”  or “full” CSI test method.

The idea is to ensure the cooking performance is what the users expect.  When converting a stove to work in a completely different manner, it is imperative to meet the demand for what I call the “pot-Watts” needed to prepare the meal. Eastern cooking usually requires high cooking power for a limited time.  Not always, so seeing the same lidded wok in different countries doesn’t mean they are used in the same manner. I like the idea of being able to use a TLUD with controllable power and have two cautions. It has to be large enough and tall enough to develop a good quality flame.  Being bigger doesn’t mean it is going to match the performance quality of  small unit.  It is not unusual for cooks to expect 2.2-2.5 kW delivered to the pot.  At a cooking efficiency of 30%, that means an 8000 Watt fire.  That level of power in a char maker means loading 1 kg of fuel per 20 minutes of cooking. Assuming a burn time of 40 minutes, that means 2 kg consumed per load with a 20% char yield (dry mass).

[cid:image001.png at 01D761E0.93062120]