[Stoves] Remarkable stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Jun 15 22:27:09 CDT 2021

Dear Julien

While agree it is important to have some rules of thumb, it is possible to consider other architectures that create good conditions for mixing and effective burnout.

Your approach to how that can be achieved leads to the rules you have established. Looking at many different stoves I noticed many of them are similar to the Peko Pe - with far too little draft, too many air holes of too small a size.

You will have noticed that regular gas burners do not follow either the 8" rule or the internal facing hole (like Paul Anderson's).

Riaz Ahmad (now Dr Ahmad) took a conventional approach with his gasifier using a regular Chinese metal gauze topped  gas burner, not a North American multi-small-hole burner. Both achieve full mixing of the gas and air in a very short distance.

In both cases there's us more total draft but it is the form of pressure, not "broken" by allowing the air in low on the system. In other words the draft available in the whole system is applied at the burning point, not only the draft above the air inlet.

In the case of a stove like you are making having a tall reactor chamber can be used to "drive" the gas out with no premixing. I haven't seen the Reed IDD gasifier made in this manner, but it could be. One advantage of that working principle would be the ability to move the burner to one side of the reactor, giving multiple options for exchanging it.

A guy in Mongolia who studied TLUD's in Japan made a stove with two reactors wide by side, and had a lever to select one or the other. His idea was continuous operation, which still allowed char recovery if the interest was there.

It is probably worth considering the use of a sealed system that can use the full height of the reactor. I will plan a test to see how low it could be.  Can you do the same? If the top could be like the Vietnamese stove with enough holes to light each other, how much more difficult would it be to use?

As for the function of the chimney in the stone stove, one function would be to draft air through the char on the grate. That improves the quality of the burn by raising the temperature of the flame. A char making stove has a lower flame temp. We should investigate and s re how the temp changes with the % of char remaining, and how that affects heat transfer efficiency.

Stay well
Crispin