[Stoves] Remarkable stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Jun 16 11:37:22 CDT 2021

Dear Julien

I am pretty sure I do. I will search a little.  It there is a sooty flame it usually means the cracking of the gasification products is incomplete so it/they remain as a condensable but evaporated liquid. A bottom-lit updraft, top loaded gasifier such as those made by Hirendra have high tars (evaporated form) in the output plus a lot of water which has to be condensed, but the resulting gas is high energy.  TLUD has the same amount of water (chilling the flame) but lower energy gas with fewer tars (long chain CxHy).  Getting that to minimize helps the “sooty flame” but sooty flames are more a problem of poor combustion conditions than only the inputs.  The TLUD makers have approached the task of creating gas pretty comprehensively but not how to burn what is generated.  As you say, a hole with a wavering flame coming out is easy to make.  Perhaps it would be better to make “better” gas and not introduce secondary air until the point of combustion, meaning at the pot. There are many ways to comb a cat.

Best regards to Coburg
Crispin