[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: Fwd: [tluds] update on the TLUD

Harris, Kirk gkharris316 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 26 20:15:29 CDT 2021

Ron,

-The setup was quite primitive.  I had a wand which I pushed through a
hole in the side of the stove and held in place.  First we left the wand
outside the stove to get a reading of atmospheric pressure.  A better
technique would be to attach a probe in place and run a tube out of the
stove to which the sensor is attached. This would be much more stable.
We tried to hold the sensor tip perpendicular to the flow of gasses to
get only the static pressure.  The system needs improvement, but we did
get some basic results.  Sam attached the probe to the sensor that
measures the pressure in the tubes above the test hood where all the
sensors are located, so we could read out the results on the computer.
The sensor has sensitivity to .001 inches of water column.

-Any predictions?  Knowing the pressure is important in commercial and
industrial burners, so wouldn't it be important in a TLUD.  For a
natural draft stove, the initial pressure difference is provided by
buoyancy.  This extends throughout the entire stove.  Once the gasses
are moving, it is possible for pressure variations to occur in distinct
locations within the stove.  Forced air can enhance buoyancy.  I predict
that once we understand how pressure varies in TLUDs we will be able to
design better TLUDs.

The pressure of the flame gasses at the outside can be measured, but the
actual pressure which the wood gas would be without the air adding its
pressure would be difficult to measure.  Any measuring device placed in
the gas flow will change the flow and so change the pressure.  We
thought about shielding a portion of the gas with a shield that allows
the gas to expand as it would without the shield, and then measuring the
pressure of that.  We could probably get an approximation.

Kirk H.