[Stoves] Need help to find 'open source portable natural draft portable cookstove'

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 00:19:23 CDT 2021

Pramod and list:  cc Kevin;  can’t see how to cc Frans

	1.   Very glad to hear of IIT's BID4D Lab group.   I hope you will keep this list informed. on all parts of this study.

	After writing a quick reply, (redone below) I found your 2015 non-fee article:  A CAPABILITY APPROACH BASED STAKEHOLDER ANALYSIS FOR THE BASE OF THE PYRAMID: A CASE STUDY OF THE FIREWOOD BASED COOK-STOVES.    The way I downloaded through Google Scholar gives URL that won’t be helpful to others.

	I urge all on this list to at least skim this and realize we have a chance to have some real stove progress through Professor Khadikar.  There is a also a short bio at:

https://design.iitd.ac.in/pramod-khadilkar.html,

where the above article is listed.

	2.   I hope you can expand your list of 6 criteria to include whether the stove makes char or not. This roughly equivalent to whether the stove owner makes or spends time and money.    Maybe 4 stoves under test would be better than 2.   In general, char-making stoves don’t get much attention from stove researchers - but climate and CDR issues may have changed that - given the COP-26 meeting coming up.in just a few weeks.

	3.  Your 2nd criterion beiow (ag residues) is good to see.  Kevin’s response re a stove with a hole and using 3 stones has a metal counterpart - also called an AgWa at a cost of a few US $ might or could also be considered.  Both are running successfully on ag residues . Which seems difficult for Rockets?   Definitely portable, but presumably anything portable can also substitute for fixed - while the converse is not true.  How would you consider a hole-in-the ground stove for portability?

	4. I am a little surprised at your phrase:  “dissemination…… at a University”.  Explanation?
``		The above 2015 paper I thought was remarkable because you focussed on “Bottom of the Pyramid”.  Maybe not true for this new study?  (and Kevin’s work is for that population.)
		  If you are looking at marketability to middle class families - you probably will need to restrict yourself to commercial TLUDs and Anilas.  There are plenty available - and both made in India.

	5.  What Frans has described can be built with other types of scrap cans.  including scrap cans called #10 in the US.  Thrown away widely in the US; only rarely in Africa.  India?

	6.  Any expectation on the desired time-length and power levels per batch forthisUniversity audience?   Or has it been predetermined that batch operation will not be acceptable?   There are ways to combine TLUDs and/or Anilas with Rockets - but I am not aware of any on the market (anywhere).    You obviously have the background and skills to make this advance.

Best of luck and thanks for coming to this list..

Ron