[Stoves] Paul Olivier's reply to Ron

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 05:42:16 CST 2022

I have removed  earlier parts of the discussion and associated
pictures to condense this small enough for the list

Andrew
-

Please see comments below.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 1:24 PM Ronal Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:

> Two lists and Paul:
>
> I rarely recommend a product, but this might be an exception.   For one,  I don’t know the price, (only a reference to $60 production cost)  and especially shipping costs around the world..

The cost of fabrication of this gasifier is $66 USD.
The sales price to poor people would be about the same.
The normal sales price is $85 USD.
This price includes overheads (the rental of the workshop and the
salary of staff).
I make no money when gasifiers are sold.
Nor am I paid a salary.
Normally we sell ex works Dalat.

> I have been corresponding with Paul for maybe 15 years - on a product that has looked pretty similar to this for most of that time.  This is the first time I have received a message emphasizing a product to buy..
>
> Paul is a perfectionist - and clearly not sending this for the money.  His reference to $60 is from a country (Vietnam) where production costs are low.  My guess is that he has found a way to produce this stove at about half the cost one could anywhere else - including China .  Because he is a perfectionist.
>
> There is a flame photo below that is better than any I have ever seen for any biomass stove.  And many excellent emission statistics below..
>
> So this is to ask Paul to come back to these two lists with more on costs for the several thousand individuals reading this on the stove and biochar lists.  Later,  I know this will be of interest on the CDR list.
>
> There is no indication in this note and the slides of the char yield.  25%?

On rice hulls, 35% of the weight is converted to biochar.

The amount of biochar produced depends on the proximate analysis of
the biomass and the temperature of gasification.

> Still all or mostly stainless?

310 stainless steel is used in the fabrication of the burner fingers.
All other parts are in 304 stainless steel, except for the frame that
holds up the tabletop.
This frame always remains at ambient temperatures.

> What is the electrical power requirements (voltage, etc) of the fan/blower?

About one watt is needed to run the 12 volt fan on raw biomass such as
rice hulls.
On pellets, the wattage is even less.

> And shipping cost estimates via different mechanisms?

We normally sell ex works.

> I once received something from China using normal US mail at a ridiculously low cost.  Possible also for you?
>
> A few years ago, I would have placed an order.  I still might, but now it would be for family members - because of my own change in residence status.  So I am asking the above questions mostly for others on these two lists, with hopes you can reply to us all with more of a sales pitch - especially emphasizing the biochar side of this.

To produce a high-quality biochar and a high-quality syngas, the fuel
has to be uniform, as explained here:

If the fuel is not uniform, air pockets are formed in the reactor.
Where there is an air pocket, the outside of the reactor turns red hot
due to internal combustion.
Combustion burns biochar, and it creates an excess of CO2 that dilutes syngas.

> Again, thanks in advance for the note below, and congratulations for this new stage of having a s5ove to sell.

All the very best.

Paul A. Olivier PhD
104/43 Phu Dong Thien Vuong
Dalat