[Stoves] Gasifier without chopping the fuel into small pieces

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jul 2 11:07:14 CDT 2022

   Tom,list,  Kevin, Crispin

	Thanks for the added information.   I got interested because of the term: "Flaming pyrolysis”. The word “pyrolysis” is so often used with charcoal making that I got caught off-guard.  This especially because I know next to nothing about gasificationn.

         I view it a real shame that many pyrolysis  and char-making papers also use the word “gasification”
.  If I wanted to identify papers that don’t discuss char-making I would use the word “gasification”.  I forgot that rule this time.

	The term “Prosopsis” was new to me - but that term includes mesquite - which I know a little about.  Both terms are important to biochar and stoves because. the Kenya folk were trying to eliminate Prosopsis - which has ruined a lot of land (and cutting blades - you note).
	I wonder if anyone has statistics on the global magnitude of this harmful biomass resource for production of biochar - for both stove and CDR reasons. Another good reason to build better biomass using stoves.

	The paper has a cite for a pyrolysis paper by Ken Bryden, founder of the annual January ETHOS stove meetings.  I have requested a copy.

	Re using this paper to help better understand air flow in Kevin McLean’s Sun24 modified 3-stone stove - nothing here.  But I may have seen a way to better understand that radial (not up or down - sort of like “cross”) air flow in Kevin’s design.  More later on that.  In this “cross-flow” paper, much of the air flow is up in the pyrolysis region.

Ron