[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Cooking Hole Modification to Three Stone Cookstove - Update

K McLean kmclean56 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 00:29:31 CDT 2022

Good question, Robert.

Other sizes work. 25x25x25 cm works well with maize stalks in home
kitchens.  We recommend 45x45x30 for school kitchens for more firepower.

Different sizes may work better depending on the fuel and cooking needs.
25x25x25 seems to be a good general recommendation since we train on a mass
scale and cannot customize based on the specific needs of a family or
community.

Squared holes work best with stacked fuels like maize stalks. For a
25x25x25 hole, the stalks should be cut to about 23 cm and stacked in
crisscrossing layers.  This method seems to get the most fuel in the hole
while allowing air to circulate within the pile.  Cylindrical holes would
work better for fuels like wood shavings and cow dung patties.

Generally, the area across the top equals firepower and depth equals burn
time.  25x25 area across the top gives good heat with maize stalks.  If the
depth is more than 25 cm, the fire goes out before the bottom fuel burns.

Denser fuels burn longer.  For example, normal size firewood burns over
three hours in a 25x25x25 hole.  This is much longer than needed.  We will
put common bricks in the hole to raise the floor, reduce the burn time and
save fuel.