[Stoves] Stoves for Ukraine?

Harris, Kirk gkharris316 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 14 13:45:22 CDT 2022

Dr. Adam,

Thank you for your questions.

The air moves upward through the stove, as in other stoves, since the
hot gasses inside are less dense and lighter in weight then the
surrounding air.  This makes the flame gas buoyant in the atmosphere and
so it is buoyed upward by the heavier air.

It can use pellets, found wood, or any suitable dry biomass that is
porous enough to allow the gasses to pass upward and dense enough to
give some good cook time.  When backpacking I use found sticks arranged
vertically in the fuel chamber.  I pack them into the stove until I can
shake the stove and it just stops rattling. This is compact enough to
give a good cooking time, and loose enough to let the gasses pass.  The
fuel cannot cover the secondary air holes.

There is no double wall, only the single tin can.  It was designed to be
simple, cheap to build, and light weight to not be a burden to carry on
my back while backpacking.  The single wall design is not as efficient
as the double wall design, but it works.  The secondary air is still
preheated since the hot tin can heats the surrounding air which then
rises to enter the secondary air holes.  There are commercial stoves
which are more efficient, if you want to pay to buy  and transport
them.  For a situation like Ukraine, with so much need, a simple and
easily made stove from readily available materials might be better.

There are lots of hobo type stoves on the internet, but they really
smoke and have to be constantly watched and fed with fuel. This TLUD
burns cleaner and needs no attention while cooking.  It is a nice
balance between more efficient stoves and hobo stoves.

Respectfully,

Kirk H.

https://www.avg.com