[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Dung Rocket Stove - Failed Test

K McLean kmclean56 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 08:25:31 CST 2023

List,

Today we tested a dung rocket stove.  I'm a little surprised that the test
was a failure.  Can anyone suggest changes?  And can anyone in India help
us with our testing of dung as fuel?

This is similar to a sawdust cookstove.  We made cylinders of dung with
vertical holes in the center and let them dry for more than a month.  We
did not mix anything into the dung.  We used 5 liter paint cans to form the
cylinders.

[image: Dung rocket stove - wet.jpeg]
[image: Dung cylinder - Failed test.jpeg]

We tested with and without a metal can over the dung cylinder.  We raised
the cylinder and lit a wood fire under it.  The fire was never strong and
there was a lot of smoke.  Here is a video
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xCrABfFFOVlvtGn925VW8FT9lXl660Zk/view?usp=share_link>
of
the test with a metal can over the dung cylinder.

We seem to be having early success with upright dung sticks in a metal band
and top lighting piles of dung patties.  But these need to be tested by
people more familiar with using dung as fuel.

[image: Dung sticks in a metal band.jpeg]
[image: TDB of pile of dung patties.jpeg]

We could use some help from someone in an area where dung is used for
cooking.  None of my colleagues live in such an area.

Thanks,
Kevin McLean
Sun24