[Stoves] Dung Rocket Stove - Failed Test

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Jan 15 18:39:24 CST 2023

Dear Kevin

>In high Mongolia, no crops or vegetables are grown so there is no need for fertilizer or biochar as a soil amendment, correct?

Well I put that question to Professor Lodoysamba. Asked him (raised in a deep rural area of Western Mongolia, “Don’t you have some sort of fruit gathered from tees, some roots or root vegetables that are dug from the ground occasionally?”

He replied, “In Mongolia, chicken is a vegetable.”

He literally ate nothing by animal products from birth until the age of seven.  He mother was aged and had no milk.  He was raised from Day 1 on the fatty tail tips of sheep.  When went to boarding school at 7 (which all rural children did) he  said they were fed a terrible, ghastly food – the kids couldn’t eat it, it smelled so bad.  I asked what it was.  He replied, “They called it, ‘Pō-tā-tō’.”  This was his first experience of vegetables.

The rural population, whether in the southern Gobi Desert or the mountains, is populated by nomadic people who have clan-based access to summer and winter grazing areas.  In summer they go up-mountain and towards winter they go down-slope. The houses are completely portable and they can survive, even now, if they have at least 200 animals of 5 or 6 different kinds and a rifle. Historically they make some 150 different dairy products.

There are some wheat farms, but the growing season is pretty short.  Remember, the average year-round temperature is -2°C.  Hunting and fishing are a lot more fun.  Marmots are delicious and you can get $100,000 for a frozen wolf in northern China.  (Both are illegal activities.)

Stay warm, stay well