[Stoves] The Combined Heat and Biochar Gasifier

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed May 3 00:40:43 CDT 2023

Dear Paul Olivier

I am bit mystified by the metrics so please add some information.

The WHO does have PM emission rates, and they have ambient air PM concentrations (several actually). The current one is under 10 micrograms per cu m. You have provided a concentration as an emission rate, sort of. How can the PM emitted be a 24 HR concentration?  It depends on how diluted the sample was.

Did the people who tested the stove give you an emission rate per minute? If so, what was the firepower? Make a fire smaller reduces the PM emitted. That is why the ISO has the PM emission given per MJ delivered. In that way the work done is related to the emission rate.

There is a way to report emissions in terms of mass per cubic metre, but that means having a standard dilution level. Perhaps the testing service provided that number. It would be an oxygen concentration, for example 13%. So far there is not enough information to know how clean the stove is, other than it must be pretty good.

If they gave you a report with multiple metrics, you could share it so we see what the standard rating metrics are. It is not a problem if you send it to me and I will reply directly to you.

Best regards
Crispin