[Stoves] Carbon credits for briquettes that replace charcoal in Africa

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Feb 1 10:35:30 CST 2024

Dear Ron

I think Tom has covered the subject pretty well.  Plants consume carbon in the soil – not everything used for growth comes from the air.  Soils can become carbon-depleted.  If carbon is extracted indefinitely by crops, and at least some of that carbon is replaced in the form of charcoal, that charcoal is almost completely unavailable to the bacteria and plant roots.  Tom uses the terms liable and recalcitrant.  I like the terms soluble and inert.  Dr AD Karve uses the terms to describe his process of feeding bacteria to liberate inert potassium, for example, into a soluble form.  They eat the rock, die and leave the element available to the plants.  This happens with charcoal but pretty slowly.

My point is that the carbon cycle is not simple, and harm can be done by creating charcoal willy-nilly and implanting it into the soil from which the biomass emerged. It would be strange if, after decades, you have a soil completely depleted of available carbon, crunching underfoot with lump charcoal.  Obviously there is a balance needed.

Whether any of this has an effect on the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is not nearly as important as its influence on food production.  If any, the atmospheric effect will be small and temporary.  If you are offered carbon trading money, smile, take it and run.  And don’t become dependent on it.

I concur with Tom’s perspective that there is no approved protocol for assessing a stove-char-sequestration project.