[Stoves] Carbon credits for briquettes that replace charcoal in Africa

Bill Knauss wmknauss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 13:51:33 CST 2024

Tom,

I think most of the confusion that is preventing us from making biochar in
the global South, at the scale we know is possible, is our failure to
understand the possibilities of how carbon credits can be used to finance
our efforts to reduce, avoid and remove carbon emissions.

ISO-compliant carbon credits verified by LCA are transferable financial
instruments representing the underlying commodity. The underlying commodity
is the reduction, avoidance or removal of one tonne of carbon dioxide or
its carbon dioxide-equivalent (CO2e).

Financial instruments representing a commodity are essentially privately
issued money that derives its value from the underlying commodity.

The underlying commodity represented in an unverified carbon credit is an
offset for countries to meet their Nationally Determined Contributions
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationally_determined_contribution> (NDC)
commitments to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Agreement>.

The latest carboncredits.com voluntary carbon market price quoted for
nature based carbon offsets is $1.27 a metric ton. On the other hand carbon
credits that have been verified by an ISO-compliant LCA are trading for
around $200 a metric ton, and in 2022 87% of all LCA verified carbon
credits in the world were for carbon removed and sequestered in biochar.
Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, there still are no registries
that will issue carbon credits for the ISO-compliant verification of
reduced or avoided emissions.

The problem we face for ISO-compliant verification of carbon removals in
biochar is so expensive and time consuming that small biochar producers can
not afford to verify what they produce.

To me the obvious solution is that the big biochar producers, or would be
producers, enter into negotiated partnership  arrangements with city
dwelling cooks, who need the excess heat for cooking, to provide the labor
and stoves necessary to make the biochar for the producer, essentially in
consideration for the big producer aggregating and delivering suitable crop
waste feedstock  for the cooks.

The bad news is that to address climate change we need to avoid and reduce
emissions by a factor many times greater than can be removed in biochar.

Nevertheless, when cooks use the excess heat generated by removing and
sequestering carbon in biochar to avoid or reduce the emissions that would
have otherwise been generated by the fuel they would have used, they are
avoiding more emissions than are being removed in the biochar.

The ISO-compliant LCA used to verify the carbon removals in the biochar,
so the carbon credits can be issued to the producer, verifies that the
cooks have reduced and avoided emissions to the same standards as the
removals are verified.

If the fuel being replaced is artesian charcoal then,      as the FAO has
determined, 10 tonnes of CO2e emissions will have been avoided for each
tonne of charcoal that is replaced with the excess heat from making biochar.

Unfortunately, there are no registries that I am aware of that will issue
ISO-compliant financial instruments/(carbon credits) for the LCA verified
reduction and avoidance of carbon emissions.

Bill