[Stoves] An Old 'Rocket Stove' from the 1970s

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 21:15:44 CST 2024

Hi folks;

When I got involved with TLUD stoves back in 2012, I also saw rocket
stoves, I knew I was looking at something familiar.  This has been bugging
me ever since, and I had to go back to see if my memory was right.

Through the 1970s and 1980s, my family had a cow collection in Eastern
Ontario, Canada.  We used to subscribe to a country living magazine called
"Harrowsmith." Every month, we would read the magazine from cover to
cover.  One issue in 1980 described a new stove that was developed at the
University of Maine in the 1970s, and commercialized in Prince Edward
Island, Canada.

Mariner, R. 1980.  "Superfurnace: It Walks, It Talks, It Crawls on Its
Belly Like a Reptile …"  Harrowsmith, number 27, volume 7, April 1980

What a name for an article!   I have attached a copy.   I discovered that
there are devoted fans of Harrowsmith that have kept all their old copies,
and they have a Facebook page.  If you have a vague recollection of an
article, they will start sleuthing for it, then post photos of the pages on
Facebook.  That was a lot more efficient for me than driving to Trent
University to look through microfiche film.

Back in 1980, I wanted to build one of these stoves, but I ended up going
to graduate school.

The stove was based on the research that is reported here,
Hill, RC 1979 Design, Construction and Performance of Stick-Wood Fired
Furnace for Residential and Small Commercial Application US Department of
Energy, EC 77-S-02-45. 30 p.

Hill's stove was a forced draft stove, but in principle, he had designed
what we now call a rocket stove.  It has primary air burning char and
pyrolyzing wood, with gases burning up stream.  The wood is preheated and
dried before it starts to burn.  The article says that you can virtually
burn green wood.

You can find a copy of Hill's bulletin on-line, and I think Bioenergy Lists
has a copy.

Cheers,
Julien.
--