[Stoves] An Old 'Rocket Stove' from the 1970s

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 19:18:50 CST 2024

Hi Folk;

Richard Hill patented his stove in 1981.  Vertical Feed Stick Wood Fuel
Burning Furnace System.  US Patent 4,473,351.   The patent was assigned to
the University of Maine.
https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/4473351

Besides referencing a 1944 patent using a vertical stack of wood fuel,
there is no reference in Hill's patent to any prior art that burned stick
wood only at the bottom.

There were attempts to commercialize the stove, and they are described in
this Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetstream_furnace

The first company went bankrupt because they over-spent  their financial
capital on North American promotion.   Howerever, the stove didn't seem to
succeed in the long run.  I suspect that was because of their inclusion of
a water heating system and dependence on electricity made the stove too
complicated for the market.  Oil-fired furnaces were easier to use.

If they had a natural draft, hot air furnace, history shows that they would
have succeeded.  That was what got me and our neighbors excited about
the Harrowsmith article (in the previous email).  In the 1970s, there were
still a number of historic farmhouses that heated using a wood fueled
convection furnace.  They looked like a huge octopus in the basement.  We
had a regular schedule of taking down the flue to clean out the creosote.
All the same, the occasional house was lost to a chimney fire.  We were
swimming in wood fuel, and every spring we had to clear the farm fields of
dead-falls.  We were always worried that our 150-yr-old farmhouse would
burn down.

Richard Hill's contribution to biomass combustion seems to have been
forgotten.

Cheers,
Julien

--